FINNISH DIVERS RECOVER BODIES OF ITALIAN TOURISTS FROM UNDERWATER CAVE IN MALDIVES

admin
3 Min Read
Spread the love

RismadarVoice Reporters, May 20, 2026

Specialist Finnish divers have recovered the remaining bodies of two Italian divers who died during an underwater cave expedition in the Maldives, bringing an end to a complex search and recovery operation that lasted nearly a week.

Authorities confirmed on Wednesday that all four victims involved in the tragic incident have now been retrieved.

The Italian divers had reportedly gone missing last Thursday while exploring an underwater cave in the Vaavu Atoll region of the Maldives.

According to Maldivian officials, the final recovery operation was conducted by three Finnish technical divers working alongside members of the Maldives Coast Guard and police authorities.

The last two recovered victims were identified as Muriel Oddenino and Giorgia Sommacal. Earlier, rescue teams had recovered the bodies of Monica Montefalcone and Federico Gualtieri.

Authorities also confirmed that Montefalcone and Sommacal were mother and daughter.

The diving instructor leading the expedition, Gianluca Benedetti, had earlier been found near the entrance of the cave shortly after the group disappeared.

Government officials said the bodies have been transferred to a morgue, while arrangements are expected to begin for their repatriation to Italy.

Maldivian presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef praised the Finnish recovery team for their expertise and professionalism during the operation.

The four victims were located approximately 60 metres beneath the water surface, a depth significantly beyond the standard limits allowed for recreational diving in the Maldives.

The search operation had earlier faced complications after a Maldivian military diver died during an attempt to retrieve the bodies from the cave system.

Officials said the victims were found close together in the innermost section of the cave, where conditions were described as extremely difficult due to strong currents, poor visibility and challenging terrain.

Authorities further revealed that although the expedition had received official approval, investigators are examining whether the divers had provided complete details regarding the exact location of the exploration site and whether all participants had been properly listed.

The incident has also raised questions over safety measures, particularly as weather alerts had reportedly been issued before the dive took place.

The recovery mission was carried out by experienced technical and cave divers from Divers’ Alert Network Europe, using specialised closed-circuit rebreather equipment designed for deep and high-risk underwater operations.

Investigations into the circumstances surrounding the deaths, including the death of the military diver involved in the rescue effort, are ongoing.

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Leave a Comment