COURT SUSTAINS ARREST WARRANT AGAINST EX-MINISTER SADIYA FAROUQ

admin
3 Min Read
Spread the love

RismadarVoice Reporters
May 18, 2026

A Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Apo, Abuja, has sustained the arrest warrant earlier issued against former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, over her alleged involvement in a $1.3 million and ₦746.7 million fraud case.

Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie upheld the warrant on Monday, May 18, 2026, following the former minister’s absence in court for her scheduled arraignment.

Farouq is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) alongside two others, Bashir Nura Alkali and Sani Nafiu Mohammed, on charges bordering on criminal conspiracy, abuse of office and alleged diversion of public funds.

At the resumed hearing, EFCC counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, informed the court that the matter was slated for arraignment, noting that the first defendant was absent without any official explanation.

Jacobs reminded the court that a bench warrant had earlier been issued on April 16, 2026, due to the defendant’s failure to appear, adding that the second defendant had since surrendered himself to the Commission following the court’s order.

He urged the court to sustain the warrant against the former minister, insisting that defence counsel should be held to an earlier undertaking to produce her in court.

Counsel to the first defendant, Oladipo Okpeseyi, SAN, however informed the court that his client was currently in Egypt receiving medical treatment and would not be fit to attend proceedings for about two months.

He told the court that a medical report, which he received late Sunday night, indicated that the former minister was unwell and under medical care abroad.

“My lord, she is in Egypt. I was informed that her doctor has advised that she is not medically fit to appear in court today. We are respectfully asking for an adjournment,” he said.

However, Justice Onwuegbuzie expressed dissatisfaction with the explanation, warning against what he described as attempts to delay proceedings.

The judge maintained that the bench warrant remained in force and stressed that the court would not tolerate unnecessary adjournments or delays in the trial process.

“At the last adjournment, counsel undertook to produce the defendant. I will not tolerate unnecessary adjournments in my court. If she is not here at the next date, the court will take the necessary steps,” the judge warned.

The matter was subsequently adjourned till June 8, 2026, for arraignment, with the arrest warrant against the former minister still in effect.

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Leave a Comment