RismadarVoice Reporters, May 23, 2026
Russia has accused Ukraine of carrying out a deadly drone strike on a student dormitory in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region of eastern Ukraine, an attack that officials say killed at least 16 people and heightened tensions in the ongoing conflict.
Russian authorities said the death toll from the incident in the town of Starobilsk rose on Saturday, with most of the victims reportedly being young women.
The attack has triggered renewed diplomatic confrontation between Moscow and Kyiv, with Russian President Vladimir Putin directing military officials to prepare possible retaliatory measures.

According to Russian officials, the strike targeted a college dormitory building where civilians and students were housed. Authorities in the Russian-controlled region said several people remained trapped beneath rubble as rescue operations continued.
Leonid Pasechnik, head of the Russian-backed administration in the region, released preliminary details of some victims, indicating that many were 19-year-old female students.
Images from the scene showed emergency workers removing debris from heavily damaged structures while rescue teams continued searches through collapsed sections of the building.
Russia described the incident as a deliberate attack on civilians and raised the issue during an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council.
However, Ukraine denied responsibility for striking a civilian target.
Ukrainian military officials said their forces had instead targeted what they described as an elite Russian drone command facility operating in the area and insisted that operations were conducted in line with international humanitarian law.
Ukraine also disputed claims that civilian infrastructure had been intentionally targeted.
Reuters reported that it could not independently verify the competing accounts from either side.
The incident comes as both Russia and Ukraine continue exchanging long-range drone and missile attacks beyond frontline combat zones.
While Moscow has repeatedly accused Kyiv of carrying out attacks inside Russian-controlled territory, Ukraine has intensified strikes against military and energy-related infrastructure within Russia in recent months.
Russian authorities also reported fresh attacks on Saturday involving drone activity around energy facilities.
Officials said debris from drones caused a fire at an oil terminal in Novorossiysk, a major Russian Black Sea port, leaving two people injured.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Ukrainian forces had targeted key strategic facilities, including oil storage sites and a chemical plant in Russia’s Perm region.

Russian regional officials later confirmed that drones had been detected near an industrial site in Perm but said air defence systems intercepted them and no damage was recorded.
The latest developments underscore the expanding reach of the Russia-Ukraine conflict, with both sides increasingly striking targets far from the battlefield while continuing to deny deliberately targeting civilians.
The attack in Luhansk also renewed international concern over civilian safety, with several countries at the United Nations calling for independent access to the site and a transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deadly incident.
As rescue operations continue and accusations deepen, fears remain that the latest incident could trigger another escalation in a war that has already claimed thousands of lives and displaced millions.


