RismadarVoice Reporters
May 22, 2026
The Trump administration has announced a major change to U.S. immigration procedures, requiring individuals on temporary visas seeking permanent residency through green cards to return to their home countries to complete the application process.
The new directive affects holders of non-immigrant visas, including students, tourists and temporary workers, who previously could apply for a change of status while residing in the United States.
According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), applicants will now be required to pursue green card applications through consular processing in their countries of origin, except in what the agency described as “extraordinary circumstances.”
USCIS spokesperson Zach Kahler said the change is intended to reinforce the temporary nature of non-immigrant visas and improve immigration system efficiency.
“From now on, an alien who is in the U.S. temporarily and wants a Green Card must return to their home country to apply,” Kahler said.
He explained that individuals entering the United States on temporary visas are expected to remain in the country for a specific purpose and duration, rather than using such visits as a pathway toward permanent residency.

According to the administration, shifting the process abroad would reduce pressure on USCIS resources and allow the agency to focus on other priorities, including naturalisation applications and visas for victims of violent crimes and human trafficking.
The policy, however, has generated criticism from immigration advocates and former government officials.
Former USCIS official Doug Rand argued that the move could significantly affect applicants who traditionally adjusted their immigration status while already living in the country.
He noted that in a typical year, about one million people apply for green cards, with roughly half seeking to adjust their status from within the United States.
Humanitarian organisations have also raised concerns over the potential impact on families.

World Relief, a Christian humanitarian organisation, described the policy as harmful to family unity and warned that it could force families to separate during the application process.
The organisation’s President and Chief Executive Officer, Myal Greene, said the policy could have immediate consequences for spouses and children of affected applicants.


