RONALDO HINTS AT RETIREMENT, SAYS 2026-27 SEASON COULD BE HIS LAST

admin
3 Min Read
Spread the love

RismadarVoice Reporters, August 17, 2026

Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo has suggested that the 2026-27 season could be the final campaign of his professional football career.

The 41-year-old Al-Nassr forward made the revelation in an interview with Vogue, saying he wants to end his career by leaving a lasting legacy.

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.

Ronaldo’s current contract with the Saudi Pro League club expires in June 2027. The five-time Ballon d’Or winner indicated that he does not expect to sign another long-term deal once his existing contract expires.

The announcement could bring an end to one of the most decorated careers in football history. Ronaldo has scored 976 career goals and won five Ballon d’Or awards, five UEFA Champions League titles and numerous domestic trophies during a professional career spanning 25 seasons.

Ronaldo, who married his longtime partner, Georgina Rodríguez, earlier this month, said he already has plans for life beyond football.

He acknowledged that retirement would leave a significant gap in his daily routine but said he intended to remain active through travel, leisure and other interests.

The Portugal international said he wanted to spend more time travelling, watching and playing padel, while also enjoying the rewards of a career that has required decades of sacrifice.

The 2026-27 Saudi Pro League campaign marks Ronaldo’s 25th season as a professional footballer.

Ronaldo played a key role in Al-Nassr’s success last season, scoring 28 league goals as the Riyadh-based club won the Saudi Arabian championship in May.

The title was Ronaldo’s first major trophy since joining Al-Nassr and the club’s first league championship since 2019.

He missed Al-Nassr’s opening league match of the new campaign following his wedding but watched from the sidelines as the team defeated Al-Fateh 3-0.

Al-Nassr manager Ange Postecoglou said Ronaldo remained an important part of the team despite his absence from the opening fixture.

Ronaldo could return to action when Al-Nassr faces Al-Diriyah in the King’s Cup.

Ronaldo’s comments came shortly after his longtime rival, Lionel Messi, also raised the possibility of ending his career.

Messi, 39, spoke about his future following the death of his father and acknowledged that he was uncertain about how much longer he would continue playing.

The potential retirement of both players would mark the end of an era that has dominated world football for almost two decades.

Together, Ronaldo and Messi have won 13 Ballon d’Or awards and have broken numerous scoring and individual records during their careers.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment