POLICE OFFICER APOLOGISES AFTER VIRAL THREAT OVER FILMING SPARKS PUBLIC OUTRAGE

admin
3 Min Read
Spread the love

RismadarVoice Reporters, May 21, 2026

A police officer, Newton Isokpehi, has apologised to Nigerians following public backlash over a viral video in which he allegedly threatened to shoot individuals who filmed him while carrying out official duties.

The officer made the apology in a video shared on his TikTok account on Thursday, where he said his earlier remarks were made out of frustration and appealed for forgiveness from Nigerians and rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu, who had circulated the initial video online.

Addressing the controversy, Isokpehi said his comments were influenced by emotional stress and the difficult realities surrounding police work, insisting that he did not intend to threaten members of the public.

According to him, his remarks had been misunderstood and should not be interpreted as opposition to citizens recording law enforcement officers.

He acknowledged that members of the public have the right to record police activities but argued that some interactions involving officers on duty had become excessive.

The officer, who identified himself as an indigene of Edo State and said he grew up in a police barracks in Kaduna, described himself as a dedicated officer who has spent years serving the country.

He stated that his service record and conduct throughout his years in the Mobile Police Force would speak for his character and commitment to duty.

As part of his appeal, Isokpehi displayed what he described as gunshot injuries sustained during previous operations, saying he had endured difficult experiences in the line of duty.

He recounted surviving a dangerous operation in which, according to him, only two out of 17 officers involved made it out alive.

The officer further attempted to clarify his earlier comments, maintaining that he had no intention of harming civilians and describing the statement as an emotional reaction rather than a genuine threat.

He also appealed directly to Gwamnishu and the wider public, saying the situation had grown beyond what he anticipated and asking Nigerians to forgive him.

Isokpehi expressed hope that conditions and welfare for police officers would improve under the current leadership of the Nigeria Police Force.

The apology came less than 24 hours after a video surfaced online showing the officer making remarks interpreted by many Nigerians as threatening violence against individuals recording him and even bystanders nearby.

The video generated widespread criticism across social media platforms, with several users calling for disciplinary action against the officer.

As of the time of reporting, the Nigeria Police Force had not issued an official statement regarding the incident.

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Leave a Comment