GUNFIRE ERUPTS IN OSOGBO AS HOODLUMS ATTACK ADELEKE’S CONVOY

admin
3 Min Read
Spread the love

RismadarVoice Reporters
August 19, 2026

Gunmen suspected to be hoodlums on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

The attack reportedly triggered an exchange of gunfire between the assailants and security personnel attached to the governor’s convoy.

The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall, where he had met with the traditional ruler.

The governor had arrived at the palace at about 3:15pm in a convoy of roughly 20 vehicles after receiving his Certificate of Return at the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo.

A source who witnessed the incident said Adeleke and members of his entourage were received by the monarch, to whom the governor reportedly presented his Certificate of Return.

According to the witness, trouble began as the meeting was ending after the monarch had offered prayers.

The source said Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit used by the monarch and his family members when gunshots suddenly rang out.

She said the attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna vehicle through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

The exchange of gunfire reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy was able to leave the palace premises. The attackers subsequently fled the area.

A trader operating close to the palace, identified as Munirat, said the assailants may have been aware of the governor’s visit and had positioned themselves ahead of his arrival.

She alleged that the attackers damaged the palace’s main gate and fired towards it before security personnel repelled them.

The trader said the confrontation later extended towards the area around the Osogbo Central Mosque before the assailants escaped in the direction of Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.

The shooting caused panic in the area, with traders and residents reportedly abandoning their businesses and running to safety.

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the incident.

Alimi said the governor’s security team successfully repelled the attackers and that no casualty was recorded.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.

As of 4:45pm, sporadic gunshots were reportedly still being heard around the area, while some business owners had closed their shops amid fears of further violence.

Security personnel were said to have remained in the area as efforts continued to restore calm.

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Leave a Comment