NDUME URGES MILITARY TO RESCUE ABDUCTED MUSSA, LASSA SCHOOLCHILDREN, OTHERS

admin
4 Min Read
Spread the love

RismadarVoice Reporters, August 20, 2026

Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume, representing Borno South Senatorial District, has called on the Nigerian military to intensify efforts to rescue people abducted from communities in Southern Borno.

Among those whose rescue he requested are schoolchildren abducted from Mussa and Lassa, passengers taken along the Buratai axis, and other victims still being held by insurgents from Ngoshe.

Ndume appealed on Wednesday during a visit to the Theatre Command, North East Operation HADIN KAI, at Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri.

The senator, who is a member of the Senate Committee on Army, commended the military for its efforts in combating insurgency and improving security in the region.

He, however, said the prolonged captivity of some victims had increased anxiety among their families and communities.

Ndume said some of the abducted persons had spent more than 100 days away from their families, urging the military to make their safe recovery a priority.

He stressed that his appeal was not intended to undermine the sacrifices of security personnel but reflected his responsibility as a representative of the affected communities.

Ndume also praised the military for improvements in the security situation across Borno, particularly the coordination among security agencies and the growing cooperation between troops and local communities.

Responding, the Theatre Commander, Major General Abdulsalam Abubakar, assured the senator that the concerns raised had been noted and that ongoing operations would continue to focus on protecting communities and rescuing those still in captivity.

Abubakar said the military had expanded its presence in vulnerable areas through the establishment of new formations and the deployment of additional troops.

He said the creation of Sector IV, covering Southern Borno and Northern Adamawa, was aimed at addressing security gaps between the two areas.

According to him, two additional battalions, 226 and 247, have been approved and are now operational within the sector.

The commander said the increased military presence had contributed to the restoration of economic and social activities in previously threatened communities.

He also disclosed that the military was intensifying stabilisation operations to facilitate the safe return of displaced residents to their communities, in collaboration with the Borno State Government.

The Theatre Commander further disclosed plans to recruit about 1,000 youths from Southern Borno, particularly Gwoza Local Government Area, into the Nigerian Army.

He said the initiative was part of efforts to strengthen security and increase the number of indigenous personnel familiar with the region.

Abubakar explained that more than 1,000 youths were already undergoing military-related training through an initiative supported by the Chief of Army Staff in partnership with the Borno State Government.

He said the next phase would focus on Southern Borno, with about 1,000 youths from Gwoza expected to join the Army after the completion of the ongoing training programme in Jos.

The commander also said the Army was expecting more than 20 additional operational platforms before the end of the year to boost its capacity to conduct operations in the North-East.

He assured Ndume that areas including Ngulde, Shaffa, Mandaragrau, Askira-Uba, Ngoshe and Kirawa would continue to receive security attention.

“Be rest assured that your senatorial district will be safe and adequately covered,” Abubakar told the senator.

Ndume, in response, commended President Bola Tinubu for supporting the Armed Forces and improving the welfare and remuneration of military personnel.

He also lauded the improving relationship between security forces and communities in the North-East, describing it as essential to rebuilding public confidence and strengthening cooperation in the fight against insurgency.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment