FAMILY RAISES ALARM SIX MONTHS AFTER UNIUYO STUDENT’S ABDUCTION

admin
3 Min Read
Spread the love

RismadarVoice Reporters
May 20, 2026

Six months after the abduction of a University of Uyo student, the family of the victim, Utibe Aniefiok Asian, has raised fresh concerns over his continued disappearance, accusing security agencies of failing to secure his rescue despite the payment of ransom and repeated reports to authorities.

Utibe, a 300-level student of the Department of Theatre Arts, was reportedly abducted on December 3, 2025, after receiving a phone call from an unidentified number and leaving home to meet the caller at an undisclosed location in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.

Speaking on Tuesday, the victim’s father, Pastor Aniefiok Asian, said the family had not heard from the student since the incident, heightening fears over his safety and whereabouts.

According to him, the suspected abductors initially demanded a ransom of N30 million. Still, they later reduced it to N500,000, which the family paid on December 13, 2025, in the hope of securing the student’s release.

The payment was reportedly made through a Moniepoint PoS account allegedly provided by the abductors.

“On Wednesday, December 3, 2025, my son, Mr Utibe Aniefiok Asian, was abducted by unknown persons within Uyo metropolis,” Pastor Asian said.

“The first demand was N30 million, but it was later reduced to N500,000, which we paid through the account provided by the abductors. After the payment, I was directed to go to Abak and pick up my child, but since that day, the abductors stopped calling, and we have neither seen nor heard from my son again,” he added.

The cleric disclosed that the matter was reported to the Anti-Kidnapping Unit of the Akwa Ibom State Police Command on December 5, 2025, where a statement was obtained and an investigating officer was assigned to the case.

He added that petitions were also submitted to the Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Internal Security, the Department of State Services (DSS), and the Commissioner of Police.

Despite what he described as valuable information supplied to security agencies, Pastor Asian lamented that no breakthrough had been made in the case.

He appealed to the Inspector-General of Police to intervene and deploy a special team to investigate the abduction and facilitate the rescue of his son.

“I still believe the security agencies can do their work. I want the IGP to intervene and ensure my son is rescued. At the very least, those behind this crime should be identified and brought to justice,” he pleaded.

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Leave a Comment