By Micah Jonah
February 16, 2026
The administration of US President, Donald Trump is set to review the safety classification of several processed food ingredients following a fresh push by Health and Human Services Secretary, Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Kennedy disclosed that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will consider a petition seeking to revoke the “Generally Recognized as Safe” (GRAS) status granted to dozens of refined carbohydrates, including corn syrup and other sweeteners.
Speaking during an interview on CBS’ “60 Minutes”, Kennedy said the agency would act on a request submitted last August by former FDA Commissioner, David Kessler.
“We will act on David Kessler’s petition. What he’s asking are questions that FDA should’ve been asking long time ago,” Kennedy said.
The GRAS designation, established by the US Congress in 1958, allows certain ingredients to be used in food products without undergoing a full government safety review, provided companies determine them to be safe.
Kennedy argued that the system contains loopholes that allow manufacturers to introduce ultraprocessed ingredients with limited federal oversight. He said he intends to close that loophole pending approval from the White House.
“There is no way for any American to know if a product is safe if it is ultraprocessed,” he said.
The Consumer Brands Association, a trade group representing food companies, defended the current process, stating that companies adhere to science-based and risk-based evaluations when introducing ingredients into the food supply. The group also said it is willing to work with health authorities to improve transparency.
David Kessler, who served as FDA commissioner from 1990 to 1997, has long linked ultraprocessed foods to chronic diseases. He previously led efforts to regulate tobacco products while heading the FDA and is now urging similar scrutiny of major food manufacturers.
“We changed how this country views tobacco. We need to change how this country views these ultraprocessed foods,” Kessler said.
Kennedy’s campaign against processed foods and artificial dyes has become one of his most visible initiatives since taking office. Last month, the Trump administration announced updated dietary guidelines encouraging Americans to consume more protein, reduce sugar intake and avoid highly processed foods.
However, Kennedy stopped short of calling for stricter regulations, saying the government’s responsibility is to ensure the public is properly informed.
“Our job is to make sure everybody understands what they’re getting, to have an informed public,” he said.
The proposed review could signal a significant shift in US food safety policy if approved and implemented.


