SUPREME COURT RULING WEAKENS TRUMP’S TARIFF LEVERAGE — SAYS TREASURY SECRETARY

admin
2 Min Read
Spread the love

By Micah Jonah, February 21, 2026

The United States Treasury Secretary, Scott Bessent has said that a recent decision by the Supreme Court of the United States has reduced President Donald Trump’s negotiating power on tariffs.

Speaking during an interview on The Will Cain Show on Fox News, Bessent explained that the court struck down tariffs previously imposed under a law designed for national emergencies, thereby limiting the president’s immediate authority in that area.

According to him, although the ruling removes a key tool previously used by the administration, it does not eliminate the president’s broader powers. He noted that the court affirmed the president’s authority to impose a full embargo if necessary, which he described as an even stronger measure.

Bessent stated that the administration would work towards restoring similar tariff levels on affected countries, though through different legal mechanisms. He maintained that the government remains committed to enforcing trade agreements reached over the past year.

President Trump reacted to the ruling by announcing plans to rely on alternative legal provisions to impose tariffs. He also introduced a new blanket 10 percent tariff on imports from other countries.

The Supreme Court’s decision has sparked renewed debate over executive powers and trade policy, with analysts saying it could reshape how future administrations approach the use of emergency economic measures.

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Leave a Comment