FCT POLICE ARREST 20 TRAFFIC OFFENDERS, 10 ROBBERS

admin
5 Min Read
Spread the love

RismadarVoice Reporters, August 19, 2026

The Federal Capital Territory Police Command has arrested 10 suspected traffic robbers accused of targeting motorists and passengers caught in traffic across Abuja.

The command also arrested 20 motorists for allegedly driving against traffic, popularly known as “one-way”, while three kidnapped victims were rescued and two suspected kidnappers apprehended in separate operations.

The FCT Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Mohammed Sanusi, disclosed this on Wednesday while briefing journalists on the command’s recent crime-fighting activities.

Sanusi said the operation against traffic robbers was launched following complaints from residents about criminals who allegedly disguise themselves as hawkers and exploit traffic congestion to steal from motorists and passengers.

He said he had directed Divisional Police Officers, particularly those overseeing areas within the city centre, to rid the roads of such criminal elements.

The commissioner said the 10 suspects arrested were Umar Salihu, Yusuf Isah, Aliyu Hamza, Abubakar Naziru, Muhammed Musa, Yagugu Mohammed, Suwidi Jibril, Kasimu Taraba, Abubakar Sani and Aminu Umar.

According to him, the suspects are currently in police custody and assisting with ongoing investigations.

Sanusi said the command had also intensified enforcement of traffic regulations, particularly against motorists who drive against the approved direction of traffic.

He disclosed that 20 motorists had so far been arrested for various traffic violations and subsequently taken to court.

The commissioner warned that the enforcement would continue across the FCT until compliance with traffic regulations improves and road users are adequately protected.

The commissioner further disclosed that police operatives had rescued three victims who were abducted from their residence in Nyanya, Abuja.

He said the incident was reported on August 14, 2026, at about 6pm, prompting the deployment of operatives from the command’s Violent Crime Response Unit, Team 1, to investigate the case.

According to Sanusi, preliminary investigation established that the victims had been taken to New Nyanya in Nasarawa State, where they were held by their abductors.

He said information provided by an FCT resident assisted the police in tracking the suspects and securing the victims.

Two suspects, Godwin Afekhide and Aaron Ogbu, were subsequently arrested for their alleged involvement in the abduction.

“All three victims were rescued unharmed and reunited with their family,” the commissioner said.

Sanusi also announced the arrest of two suspects allegedly connected with armed robbery operations in Nyanya and Kubwa.

He said the investigation followed a robbery reported in Nyanya on July 14, 2026, after which operatives of the Violent Crime Response Unit, Team 2, were deployed to identify those behind the crime.

Investigators later linked the suspects to another robbery in Kubwa, where a similar method was allegedly used.

The commissioner said intelligence from members of the public, alongside digital investigative methods, led police operatives to a hotel in Jabi, where 32-year-old Ismail Tasiu was arrested.

A 35-year-old man, Adamu Aliyu, was also arrested and allegedly identified as a receiver of stolen property.

Police reportedly recovered five motorcycles, three knives, a vehicle number plate and a face cap bearing the inscription, “Kaduna State Vigilante Service”.

Sanusi said the suspects and recovered items remained in police custody as investigations continued, adding that they would be charged to court upon completion of the investigation.

The commissioner further disclosed that six suspects were arrested over alleged burglary and armed robbery offences.

He said operatives of the Violent Crime Response Unit, Team 1, apprehended the suspects on July 28, 2026, following intelligence-led operations.

The suspects were identified as Sanusi Yusuf, Zakari Mohammed, Sani Adamu, Abdulwasi Yahuza, Abdullahi Abah and Aliyu Mohammed.

According to Sanusi, investigations indicated that the group allegedly specialised in breaking into residential buildings at night, stealing valuables and attacking residents with knives.

He said the suspects remained in custody and would be prosecuted after investigations were concluded.

The commissioner assured residents that the command would continue to intensify operations against criminal groups and dismantle their networks across the FCT.

“We will identify their hideouts, disrupt their networks, recover their instruments of crime, and bring those responsible to justice,” Sanusi said.

He urged residents to continue providing credible information on suspicious individuals and activities in their communities.

“With your continued support and cooperation, we will make the Federal Capital Territory safer for all,” he added.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment