RismadarVoice Reporters, August 18, 2026
The Federal Government of Nigeria has announced plans to evacuate another 83 Nigerians from South Africa amid renewed concerns over xenophobic attacks and anti-foreigner sentiments in the country.
The returnees are expected to arrive at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that the Nigerians would depart Oliver Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg aboard South African Airways at about 3:35 p.m. local time and are expected to arrive in Lagos around 8:45 p.m.
According to the ministry, the latest evacuation was made possible through the intervention of private individuals who sponsored the returnees’ air tickets.

The development follows the Federal Government’s voluntary repatriation programme, under which nearly 1,490 Nigerians have reportedly returned from South Africa amid concerns over attacks and hostility towards foreign nationals.
The ministry said the government remained committed to protecting the welfare and dignity of Nigerians living both within the country and abroad.
It added that its Citizen Diplomacy policy recognises Nigerians in the diaspora as important contributors to national development and pledged to continue supporting their safety and well-being.
The ministry also appealed to businesses, corporate organisations, state governments, philanthropists and other Nigerians to support efforts to assist citizens facing consular emergencies.
It described the latest intervention by private sponsors as an example of cooperation between government and citizens in responding to emergencies involving Nigerians abroad.
The Federal Government further said it would continue diplomatic engagement with countries, including South Africa, to address the underlying causes of Afrophobia and reduce incidents of discrimination and violence against Nigerians.
It stressed that attacks on foreign nationals should be condemned and that perpetrators should be held accountable.
South African anti-immigration group sets fresh deadline
Meanwhile, South Africa-based anti-immigration group March and March has announced September 30 as a new deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country.
The group made the declaration during a protest in Durban on Monday, held on the sidelines of the 46th Ordinary Summit of the Southern African Development Community (SADC).
March and March marched through parts of central Durban, calling on African leaders attending the summit to take responsibility for their citizens who are living in South Africa without valid documentation.

The group had previously organised nationwide demonstrations on June 30, demanding stronger government action against undocumented immigration.
It said the latest campaign represented a second phase of its earlier mobilisation and warned of a larger protest on September 30 if its demands were not addressed.
The demonstrations have added to concerns about the treatment of foreign nationals in South Africa, particularly citizens of other African countries.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has previously condemned xenophobia and violence against foreign nationals, saying South Africa could not promote regional integration while allowing discrimination against Africans from other countries.
The SADC summit in Durban brings together leaders from the regional bloc’s 16 member states.


